LETS PRAY FOR MH370

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Why some external HDD use two USB connector?

I have bought this Hard-Disk since Oct 2010, adequate four years by now. Model brand is Imation with capacity of 500GB. The Part#:  imn-apollo-g2 2.5 phdd-500gb

The only thing I don't understand is why does the cable that connecting to the computer has two terminal. By plug in/unplug either one or one by another sequentially to the computer USB port will cause some impact sound heard from the HDD. Feel like it going to spoil anytime soon.
 Out of nowhere I got my hardworking and courage instinct to open up the HDD casing to take a look whether there is any specification written inside. One of the reason also because I cant find any datasheet or user guide of this model from the website. Interestingly, I found the HDD model is Toshiba brand but now the company has been acquired by Western Digital. Looking at the sticker, it require a 5Vdc 1.0A to operate. Now its clearer to me. Normal USB port on computer is USB 2.0 which is supplying 5Vdc 0.5A max, to enable the HDD working properly, it uses two USB terminal. These two connected in parallel. By doing this, voltage will be same while current is summation of both. Meanwhile for nowadays laptop with USB 3.0, its capable of supplying 5Vdc 0.9A max. For my case, I need to connect/disconnect both the USB terminal simultaneously to the computer ports to avoid damage on the HDD.
 The hard disk connection is Serial ATA type. Its been converted to USB type with onboard processor and microchip. Then imation resell the HDD as their brand.


No comments:

Post a Comment